Recent Posts

infinity

You sound like a separatist!

 


As a CIS player on SW Legion, when I entered Shatterpoint I told myself I would steer clear of the droid army. Too many an evening painting droids has left me a bit tired of the good ol' B-1 battle droids. However, the starter box felt a bit disjointed with Ventress and Maul as main antagonists. 

I don't really see Maul and Ventress teaming up while commanding CIS troops, so with the new releases I got myself a Grievous and a Dooku box to make my CIS playable as a cohesive force.

My droids were done in the same Legion schemes, with simple metàlic drybrush on the B2s and generous use of washes on the B1 battledroids. Some markings were also used to identify squad leaders.


The magnaguard also followed the same overall procedure as in Legion, but here they got some extra source lightning from their electro-staffs reflecting on their cowls.





For Dooku I went mostly with dark unsaturated colours, trying to make his lightning and his lightsaber the focus of the figure, applying source lightning to the Sith lord robes and making the floor reflect those same lights.

Ventress was a bit difficult, particularly on the face. The sculpt didn't reflect what I wanted her to look and I got pretty annoyed trying to "make up" for it with my brushes. In the end I'm not 100% sattisfied but it will have to do.

Kraken and Kalani are the Super Tactical Droids. They appear on the clone wars series and while I was not too fond of them on the beggining, Legion made me appreciate this guys a lot. They really are the cogs that make the droid army come together. As Kraken is usually portrayed as a better fighter, I made Kalani look like he was doing some strategizing and Kalani looks to be leading from the frontline.

I used a fair amount of pigments on Kraken and the result gives the base a more realistic look. On hindsight I might go back to the other sand bases to add some pigmet to get this grainy texture.


The centerpiece of this warbands is oundoubtedly general Grievous. His miniature is probably my favourite from the whole Shatterpoint range. Big, imposing and menacing. The kind of miniature that sells you an army. His lightsabers also reflect on his armor plates for a more grounded feel. The blue sabers on him turned particularly great so I'm sattisfied with the overall result on this one.




I've been also working on the scenery. I decided to avoid the tipical Tatooine aesthetic in favor of a dark cyberpunk aesthetic, more suited to the Clone Wars battles like Coruscant or Umbara. The walls were drybrushed purple and the neons were painted in intense fluor pink for the extra cyberpunk feel.



I was also not planning on painting the rulers and accessories. My idea was to apply just a general metallic paint to tell them appart from my opponents, but while I was at it I ended up so enthralled that I ended up painting every little detail on the rulers.





No comments