Finding the exact balance for this scheme required a bit of digital experimentation before I ever put brush to plastic. I actually spent some time utilizing AI tools to test how the deep red scale armor would interact with the pale, stone-gray flesh tones. While the digital mockups threw some bizarre curveballs—including trying to invent entirely unrequested details like loincloths—the process was incredibly useful for locking down the exact placement of the red scale armor and ensuring it didn't overwhelm the subtle transitions in the skin. It allowed me to visualize how the cold, desaturated flesh would contrast against the warm, aggressive tones of the suits before committing to the palette.
On the miniatures themselves, the centerpiece of the scheme is the rich red scale armor, which is framed by dark, utilitarian leather straps and heavy traveling packs. To keep the models from feeling too monochromatic, I picked out the geometric details on the axes and the trims of the shields in a muted, burnished gold. The true test of the scheme, however, was balancing the pale, stark skin tones. I wanted the flesh to look as though these warriors have spent generations deep within the mountain roots, completely shielded from the sun. The pale skin perfectly frames the dark, heavily textured beards and braided hair, creating an imposing, cold expression that completely re-contextualizes the classic Mounthaven silhouette.
To bring the entire unit together, I needed a basing scheme that would make the dark, fiery tones of the models pop. I opted for ancient, subterranean stone tiles carved with geometric runic patterns, painting them in a vibrant, oxidized turquoise. The bright, vivid stone provides a stark contrast to the muted leathers and deep red armor above, giving the impression that the squad is navigating the forgotten, water-logged deep roads of a bygone empire.
Stepping outside of the standard faction presentation to weave in elements of the Duergar and Chaos Dwarves has made this one of the most rewarding painting projects on my desk in recent weeks. The combination of digital planning and traditional brushwork really paid off in creating a cohesive, moody unit that stands out on the tabletop. When you start a new game system like Warcrow, do you tend to follow the studio schemes to get a feel for the world, or do you dive straight into custom lore and alternative palettes like these?
0 Comments