Recent Posts

infinity

Diggy Hole

Last year I joined a wargaming club near my workplace. It was a pretty nice place but most of the players there were 40k players and I was a complete ignorant in anything 40k related. Come christmas, the holiday boxes from GW allowed me to get a substantial Votann force to start playing some games on the club and I decided I was going to speedpaint my way through it with my recently acquired Speed Paints 2.0 set.

I started by painting the Votann killteam as it would be a pretty basic testbed for the faction color scheme, and being a killteam I could change colors on different miniatures if I felt like it. I decided to go for a very industrial miner look with ceramic plates and orange underalls.



This was also a place to test several speed paints skintones that I planned on using on the range. As well as setting the idea for the mine bases with dark purple soil and neon glowing pink minerals.

I also painted one of the bikers to get a feel for how I wanted my vehicles to look. Opted for  clean look on the chassis as I wanted to add decals in the future, but I'm not very proficient on the decal department so this make take a while. The idea was to use regular paints on the vehicle plates and speed paints on the biker and the inner workings of the bike, for the extra contrast.


The same vehicle armour was used for the Thunderkyn protection, which helped unify the colors along the range of miniatures. I tried to use some speed paint metals on the weapons to get a feel of how they would look in contrast to regular colors. I must say I'm greatly impressed by the 2.0 speed paint metals, as the result is fantastic with just a single layer.


The Sagitaur is the main APC of the faction and I decided to go for a dark red here instead of the orange of the bikes. Using the ceramic color as the nexus between the models. 

I tried several weathering techniques on it to give it a more battered look, mainly on the armor plates and also decided to give the tires a purple drybrush to fit with the mine color of the other dwarf bases.


The Cthonian Beserks were my least favourite models of the range when I went into this army, and when I took it to myself to paint them I opted to minimize the amount of metal implants on the miniatures. Still once painted I really dig the look of them and they have become one of my favourite models on my army. As I don't really play them much in 40k (my understanding is that they are pretty terrible there) I use them as miners in Grimdark Future.





 

No comments