Recent Posts

infinity

Experiments in 3D basing

Lately most of my projects related to the Combined Army where put on a halt due to basing issues. When I began my Onyx force I had just taken a small sculpting class and I was all hyped up to sculpt my own bases for my miniatures. While this was fine for some few models, as the army expanded this turned out to be a horrible solution as sculpting ended up being the chokepoint for my progression on the miniatures.


It didn't take long for me to end up buying resin bases. While this was a faster solution it came at an increased price I wasn't sure I wanted to keep on my hobby budget. Recently though I finally found my solution in 3D printing. While my choice of basing being jungle wasn't the most common between STLs available, there were plenty spare flowers and plants I could downscale to base size.

So behold. New bases, vs old! Ko-Dali vs Kerr-Nau


Ko-Dali was one of the first miniatures painted on the new batch and to be graced with the new resin plants. The plants make the base more vibrant and give it a lot more depth. While I could sculpt flowers in the old bases, I wan't good enough to make them pop as much from the ground.


I also bought some forest STLs to try on my other Defiance shasvastii troops. While not as good as the jungle plants, they still give a better look than an empty base. They are pretty convincing as forest bases but I guess they don't feel as tropical as the jungle ones.


Oh and by the way, this were painted with SpeedPaints. The trees being a single army paint coat and achieving excellent results, I really liked the way they go to the recesses and give easy volume to the miniatures.


All of this was in preparation to paint my new Hungries. The new Preta and Gaki models are sick, and while Morat are not my main factions I could not resist to buy and paint these buggers. I never use metallics on infinity but on the Taighas I used metallic emerald and that gave them an awesome alien look, so I wanted to achieve the same with the Preta and Gaki. Ruby and Turquoise metallics were used instead as a way to differentiate the 3 alien species. 


I also tried different skin colouring styles to add extra variation to them but keeping all the "hard" parts, like carapaces, claws and tails with the metallic tones.


This is how they look together with their handler.


 

No comments